Integrating things slowly but surelyPosted: December 19, 2011
As you’ve probably noticed, I’ve been taking the remaining “Things” out of order as they inspire me. I’m still determined to finish all 23, but I doubt I will achieve my goal of completing the program before the new year. I just survived the busiest time of the year in my job, and my free time has been occupied by volunteer commitments and holiday preparations. There simply hasn’t been much time for reflection and writing. While I’m somewhat disappointed by how far behind I’ve gotten with CPD23, I suspect I’ll be capable of a more thoughtful discussion about my remaining things (advocacy and job searching) after the holidays.
For now, I’ll briefly tackle Thing 19 and reflect a little on what I’ve already learned from the program.
Things I was already doing and/or using:
- Reading blogs, mostly via RSS feeds and Google reader – though I did clean up my subscriptions thanks to CPD23
- Some personal branding (consistent username, real name, profersonal approach)
- Twitter – though I have been a little more active thanks to improved use of lists
- Google Calendar – It’s even more helpful now that I can see it on my smart phone!
- Attending conferences
Things I probably wouldn’t have done without CPD23:
- Started blogging – I had hoped to make this blog about more than CPD23, but so far have only put up a few non-related posts. :(
- Written about my library roots/routes – I struggled the most to find the words for these posts, but I think they have been the most valuable part of my CPD23 experience.
Things I’m happy to know about but probably won’t use:
- Citation software
Things I still plan to work on:
- Finding a better avatar and visual identity for my personal brand
- Communicating my skills/interests/achievements, then updating my LinkedIN profile (hoping Thing 21 will help with this one)
- Commenting on blog posts – I’ve been doing better, but definitely haven’t met my one-comment-a-day goal.
- Incorporating wikis (or some sort of improved knowledge sharing) in the workplace
- Networking with other librarians, possibly finding a mentor
Seems I’ve got plenty to keep me busy in January! Despite my slow progress of late, I really have been enjoying this opportunity to try new things and reflect on old ones. Thanks for sticking with me.
I hope everyone has a restful holiday. See you next year!